Monday, July 12, 2010

Interview with Sue Duffy

Hi everyone, today I have an interview with author Sue Duffy. She is the author of Fatal Loyalty, which I will be reviewing tomorrow. Very good book! Loved it:)
Thank you for being with us today, Sue!

Q: How long have you known you wanted to be an author?
A: Since my ninth-grade English teacher told me I did. Only she said “writer.” Fine line between the two. So I became an advertising copywriter, then a newspaper writer, then a magazine writer. And then I discovered I liked to make things up ─ not a respectable trait for a journalist. So I shifted into respectable fiction and conjured my first novel, Mortal Wounds, in 1998.

Q: Can you tell me a little bit about your book?
A: In Fatal Loyalty, the daughter of Florida’s war-on-drugs attorney general leaves that dangerous world for a quiet, safe bungalow in Miami’s Coconut Grove, only to discover she’s in the crosshairs of her father’s powerful enemies. Her world grows stranger by the day, and so do the people she encounters during her plight. It’s a tale of hidden identities, betrayal, redemption, romance, and more than a few surprise twists.

Q: When readers gets done with your book, what do you want them to come away with?
A: A clearer understanding of at least one thing: You can’t outrun the barbed tentacles of this world. But you can survive them and thrive amongst them if your hope and heart are anchored to the One who has overcome the world ─ Jesus Christ. It’s really simple. It’s really true. And really hard sometimes to make people understand that. So I wrote it into a story that, I hope, makes it really clear.

Q: Is there a place you have always wanted to visit? A vacation spot, historical monument, overseas, etc?
A: I want to stand in the middle of Red Square in Moscow and try to understand the differences in our cultures. Then I want to trace the fictional life of Doctor Zhivago with the muse of Boris Pasternak at my side, explaining how he crafted that gripping story. I also wouldn’t mind climbing to the grassy peak (not knoll) where Julie Andrews opened Sound of Music, with that score playing in my ear. I’m such a sap.

Q: If you could have dinner with 2 people, who would they be?
A: For pure entertainment, I’d love to be the silent third party at the table with William Shakespeare and Dave Barry.

Q: What one event would you love to be at? Historical or future?
A: The Second Coming of Christ ─ from a safe vantage point. Hopefully Heaven.

Q: Do you have a favorite hobby?
A: My husband and I are avid boaters. But I also love to paint. Landscapes, not walls.

Q: Is there something about you most people wouldn't know?
A: I was once a foot model. Bunions ended that.

Q: Do you have any suggestions for the aspiring writer?
A: Don’t just aspire. Write, write, then write some more. Pay attention to everything around you. Observe people. My children are always telling me to stop staring. But I’ve drawn some pretty good characters from what I’ve seen other people do and heard them say. Of course, pray for God to give you a story and characters to inhabit it. A message would be nice, too. Many times I’ve reached the end of a long novel only to wonder what I gained from reading it.

Q: Any last thought for your readers?
A: They’re the reason I write. I just want to tell them a good story. Introduce them to characters they’ll remember for a long time. And show them what happens to a human life when God enters it.

Q: And how can they connect with you?
A: Through my publisher, Kregel. Also through my Web site, www.sueduffybooks.com.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...