Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My Review of A Distant Melody


In A Distant Melody, readers meet two young Americans, about to be separated by an ocean during World War II: Never pretty enough to please her gorgeous mother, Allie will do anything to gain her approval--even marry a man she doesn't love. Lt. Walter Novak--fearless in the cockpit but hopeless with women--takes his last furlough at home in California before being shipped overseas. Walt and Allie meet at a wedding and their love of music draws them together, prompting them to begin a correspondence that will change their lives. As letters fly between Walt's muddy bomber base in England and Allie's mansion in an orange grove, their friendship binds them together. But can they untangle the secrets, commitments, and expectations that keep them apart?

A Distant Melody is the first book in the Wings of Glory series, which follows the three Novak brothers, B-17 bomber pilots with the US Eighth Air Force stationed in England during World War II.

Sarah Sundin is an on-call hospital pharmacist and holds a BS in chemistry from UCLA and a doctorate in pharmacy from UC San Francisco. Her great-uncle flew with the US Eighth Air Force in England during WWII. Sarah lives in California with her husband and three children. This is her first novel.


I really enjoyed reading this book. This is her first novel and normally I am not a big reader of war books. Surprisingly I did like this one. There were 2 things about it that I did not like which I will tell you about but overall, it was good. I also liked that it was a big book. When I buy a book, I want to feel like I am getting my monies worth. So many of the books today are pretty small. You don't have to worry about that with this one:) And it held my attention the whole way!! I read it in about 2 days!! You really want to find out what happens with Allie and Walt. And she also has me wanting to see what happens to the other brothers.

As far as the 2 things I didn't like, they are not real big but just enough to make me think. One was that sometimes, I felt like I missed something. I would have to go back and read to make sure I didn't but it wasn't real clear. It happened probably 3 times in the whole book so it was nothing major but like I said, enough to catch my attention. The other thing was that one of the men in the book, I don't want to spoil anything so I won't go into detail, but there is a rumor started about one of the men in the mill area. It doesn't really say much, but I didn't think it had to be in there. They never really clear it up either as to if it was true or not. Again, nothing major, just something I caught. The good far outweighs the bad in it though. I would definitely pick it up at your book store. And I am waiting to read the next one in the series:)



Available March 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group. I also received a complimentary copy for review.

1 comment:

Karen Lange said...

Sounds interesting! Thank you for sharing what you thought about it. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I know what you mean about having to go back and read a part again. Sometimes I do that, and at times, it's me just not concentrating. Other times it seems it's something about the book that is confusing. Thanks again for sharing!
Blessings,
Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...